Monday, September 10, 2012

Second and third brews

So in reading Dave Miller's Homebrewing Guide, I found out there was something called extract brewing.  Digging around on the web, gathering all kinds of brewing supply store sites, I got a hankerin' for some Oatmeal Stout.  I had been dreaming of a thick creamy headed oatmeal stout like the one I'd had at River City Brewing in Sacramento back in the 90s.  So I dug around and found Mr. Beers Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout HME.  Ordered it and waited about a week.
I still only had a one gallon capacity, so I could only brew one can at a time.  I had already started to realize that brewing 9 or 10 bottles per month wasn't going to cut it.  So I started collecting more bottles.  And of course pick up an Oatmeal Stout for <ahem> research purposes.


And thinking ahead some Porter since I knew that would eventually be on the horizon.
And just to be sure what I wanted to do next, pick up a bit of a selection.
 
 
Well, finally the first Oatmeal Stout was ready on 3/1/12, good thing too, because I had already finished off the 3 bottles of the other Christmas present.  Mr. Beer didn't disappoint.  I wasn't crazy about the all extract process...just seemed a bit too easy...kind of like the TV Dinner version of brewing, without the TV Dinner taste.  Definitely, no complaints on the results.
 

 
 
Moving on to Dave Miller's other book - "Brewing the World's Great Beers", I decided I'd go back to an all-grain recipe, having had such great results so far.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment